List:       outages-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Outages-discussion] [EXTERNAL] Re: [outages] Outages Digest, Vol 184, Issue 18
From:       James Sharp via Outages-discussion <outages-discussion () outages ! org>
Date:       2024-02-23 0:25:31

On 2/22/24 1:50 PM, Bill Woodcock via Outages-discussion wrote:
> I haven’t seen anything to suggest that their data network was involved.

As others have said, it unlikely wasn't.  AT&T's temporary work around
was "Enable WiFi Calling", so that says something happened on the
cellular network side rather than on the pure IP side.  Of course, that
didn't help anyone who wasn't conveniently within a wifi network that
was ipsec tunnel friendly or anyone who didn't have a phone that was
compatible with AT&Ts wifi calling system (anything older than something
like a Google Pixel 3 was boned).

Since there was some reports about the issue being in "how calls were
handed off/over", I'm guessing something went completely bonkers in
AT&T's LTE Home Location Register database.  If you stayed still, the
system knew what cell/frequency you were attached to.  If you moved or
did something that made your local tower have to move you to a different
frequency/sector/antenna/tower, the HLR completely lost track of you.