List:       outages-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Outages-discussion] [EXTERNAL] Re: [outages] Dreamhost MySQL outage?
From:       "Chapman, Brad \(NBCUniversal\) via Outages-discussion" <outages-discussion () outa
Date:       2023-11-06 15:59:49

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

Here's an insightful comment today from a redditor who claims to have worked at \
Flexential in the managed services side.

I looked him up on LinkedIn: he was in DevOps / SRE and worked there a total of 6 \
years.

Flexential sounds like a shit show, but he's also surprised that Cloudflare chose \
this place.  Either they didn't research it, or Flexential was doing a terrific snow \
job on them.

-Brad

Well, I'm not surprised in the slightest.

I didn't work on the Colo side -- I was in Managed Services, but our entire platform \
lived on top of the Colo stuff, so I had plenty of interaction with those folks.

Flexential is a company that was created out of mergers/acquisitions between ViaWest \
and Peak10 (both big Colo companies, the former mostly West of the Mississippi and \
the latter mostly East), and INetU, a Managed Services company with its own \
datacenter footprint.  After the mergers, the company culture went from one of the \
best I had ever been a part of (at INetU) to dismally bad.  All of the good employees \
left and it seemed like they only hired numbnutses to replace them.

Management is ineffective at best (toxic at worst), and routinely makes bad \
decisions.  Most of the good fortune the company has are due to either pure accidents \
that end up somehow leading to success (think: Mr. Magoo), or because the C-suite \
schmoozed some customer executive at a fancy steakhouse into giving them their \
business.

Their profits have been very bad (if existent) for years and they pinch pennies \
wherever possible.  Their infrastructure testing practices have gotten worse and \
worse as the good infrastructure people left the company and their replacements \
didn't know any better.

So yeah, I'm not surprised at all that they fucked up this badly -- I'm actually more \
surprised that Cloudflare put their core of operations at a Flexential datacenter.

—Sent from my iPhone