List:       outages-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Outages-discussion] FB Outage AAR I - Engineering Posts Pabulum
From:       Bill Woodcock <woody () pch ! net>
Date:       2021-10-06 8:48:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> > What team doesn't have their management IPs somewhere other than DNS? That seems \
> > crazy to me.

> I've always been partial to a binder with printouts of all vital IPs for \
> infrastructure and disaster recovery, updated monthly

We have a not-yet-fully-enacted plan that we've been noodling with to have all of our \
critical stuff in un-routed IPv6, with centrally-managed hosts files being generated \
wih only need-to-know contents and pushed to each machine with a need-to-know \
individually.  As well, of course, as keeping encrypted different-site backups, etc.

We haven't yet seen a problem with it.  We have some Jira/Confluence boosters \
internally, which is tricky, because people want to put sensitive information into \
the Jira and Confluence instances, but they need Internet access to phone home and do \
updates and stuff, apparently.  Which is unfortunate.  But I guess I heard that \
they'd shot themselves in the foot some other way recently, which tipped the balance \
in favor of getting rid of them, I think.  I'm not fully up-to-date on that argument.

                                -Bill

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]