List:       outages-discussion
Subject:    Re: [Outages-discussion] Fwd: RFC multiple separate DNS providers?
From:       Paul Ebersman <list-outages () dragon ! net>
Date:       2016-10-21 21:20:55

aaron> I can't seem to find it now, but I could have sworn that was an
aaron> RFC (in addition to the required 3) that said you should have
aaron> them with multiple providers, different ASNs, or something like
aaron> that so one particular company (or bad config push) wouldn't
aaron> affect DNS.  i.e.  Primary and 1st secondary with DynDNS and a
aaron> 2nd secondary with a completely different provider.

A forgotten classic, even made BGP status (RFC 2182/BCP 16): Selection
and Operation of Secondary DNS Servers.

A few things to consider these days, like different clouds/services as
well as provider/asn/prefix/network and anycast changes the picture a
bit but still well worth reading and putting on RFPs.