List:       otr-dev
Subject:    Re: [OTR-dev] Problem during the Authenticated Key Exchange (AKE)
From:       Nathan of Guardian <nathan () guardianproject ! info>
Date:       2013-10-27 13:21:15

Ian Goldberg <ian@cypherpunks.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 05:26:07PM +0200, Thomas Balthazar wrote:
> > Hi Ian,
> >
> > The source code will be available under an open source license.
> > Am I correct thinking that it won't interfere with the LGPL?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Thomas.
>
> Right, but doesn't the App Store prevent users from modifying their
> software?  (See, e.g. http://michelf.ca/blog/2011/gpl-ios-app-store/ )
>
> - Ian

There are open toolchains for iOS now and if you jailbreak your device, you don't \
have to pay Apple the $100 developer fee.

http://code.google.com/p/ios-toolchain-based-on-clang-for-linux/

That aspect of the argument then is moot, if we want to get into technicalities.

Ultimately Apple doesn't care about this. They only care if a copyright holder \
protests. Since the app store model is quickly moving to Mac and Windows desktops, we \
need to find a way we are all happy that we can help ensure users have easy access to \
truly libre tools, especially privacy enhancing ones.

Obviously my support for ChatSecure with OTR on iOS makes this an important issue for \
me.

+n