List:       ossec-list
Subject:    Re: [ossec-list] Disable FS crawls
From:       Christina Plummer <cplummer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-08-31 23:30:37

If you don't actually want to do file integrity checking at all, I think
you can just remove the <syscheck> section from your ossec.conf files on
the clients.  If you want to scan some directories but not others, just
make sure that you are only including the specific directories you want
scanned in the <directories> tag.

Per the syscheck FAQ, <ignore> might not completely disable scanning - it
might just disable alerting.

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 12:20 PM, 'q' via ossec-list <
ossec-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hello Juraj!
>

> you can try <ignore> option in rootcheck section  in your
> ossec-agent-shared.conf
>
> for example:
>

> <agent_config profile="my_profile">
> <syscheck>
>
> </syscheck>
>
> <rootcheck>
>
> <ignore>/var/www/ptb/</ignore>
>
> </rootcheck>
>
> <agent_config>
>

> On 31.08.2016 15:08, B2RN wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to figure out whether there's a way to disable any sort of FS
> crawls performed by OSSEC. We have a few SAN clients that have 2.3PB of
> mounted network shares and I'd like to avoid OSSEC going through them for
> obvious reasons.
>
> http://ossec-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/manual/syscheck/ mentions
> "skip_nfs", but this isn't actually NFS. It's a magical proprietary thing.
>
> And like I said, I'd just want to disable FS crawls entirely and have the
> agent(s) set up with log parsing and maybe active-response. Depends on how
> well I can write up the decoders/rules.
>
> By the way, asking before I start messing around with this because the
> machines are live.
>
> Cheers,
> Juraj
> --