List:       ossec-list
Subject:    Re: [ossec-list] Modify rules.xml files best practice
From:       Jesus Linares <jesus () wazuh ! com>
Date:       2016-08-29 10:15:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Derek,

as Dan said, the best practice is to use the file *local_rules.xml*. But,
if you are improving or creating new rules, it would be great if you share
them with OSSEC <https://github.com/ossec/ossec-hids> or with Wazuh ruleset
repository <https://github.com/wazuh/ossec-rules>. On the other hand, if
you just want to adapt the rules to your environment (overwrite, levels,
descriptions) just use the *local_rules* file.

Thanks.
Regards.

On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 3:46:05 PM UTC+2, dan (ddpbsd) wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 9:39 AM, Derek Day <dday...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> > I have hopefully an easily answered question regarding modifying some of
> the
> > rules.xml files that come with ossec. I guess my question centers
> around,
> > what is the best practice for doing something like that? i want to give
> > certain windows eveint ID's higher levels and lower certain other ones.
> > should i just modify the msauth_rules.xml files as required or is there
> > different best practice?
> >

> Usually what we recommend is to add the rules with your changes to
> local_rules.xml and add the overwrite option.
>
> > Thanks
> >
> > Derek
> >
> > --
> >
> > ---