List:       ossec-list
Subject:    [ossec-list] Syscheckd inotify limit
From:       Franz Nemeth <mind.pl0ke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-09-23 11:29:12

Hello,

We recently encoutered a problem with the syscheck daemon and inotify:

We are monitoring quite a large number of files in realtime and the
inotify_user_watches is still set on 8192 files. This resulted in several
commands not working anymore (tailf for instance).
Is there a way to limit the number of realtime watched files although the
actual number of files is greater than the inotify_user_watches limit?
If not could you please mention in your documentation that admins should
check first how many files they are actually monitoring in realtime and
that the standard limit will not be sufficient (e. g. find /var/www/ -type
f | wc -l).

Thanks in advance

Franz Nemeth

--