List:       ossec-list
Subject:    [ossec-list] An idea for nmapg
From:       Walker JWalker <j_walker2 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2008-04-26 13:02:34

From what I can tell OSSEC/nmapg works by detecting differences in open/closed ports \
based on IP addresses.  But IPs change and you can't be sure if a new open port is \
due to a new port actually listening, or the IP changed due to DHCP.

Would it be possible to take into consideration the MAC address which doesn't change? \
Nmap doesn't include the MAC address of the target in it's results for -oG that OSSEC \
uses, but it does for other log output formats.

Since routers replace the MAC address, the port scanner would have to be on the same \
network, but that might not be too big of a problem since I would think it should \
greatly reduce the number of false positives.