List:       ossec-dev
Subject:    Re: [ossec-dev] threat detection with OSSEC?
From:       theresa mic-snare <rockprinzess () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-08-14 19:59:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I just stumbled upon SCAP (or openSCAP). It seems it does something similar
to CIS?

what do you guys think of it?
could it be integrated into OSSEC? could OSSEC be capable of detecting and
creating alerts for SCAP?
openSCAP seems to be well integrated in RHEL-based systems...but I've also
seen packages for Ubuntu/debian based systems...
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openscap
https://github.com/OpenSCAP/scap-security-guide

what do you think?
is it worth a shot?

best,
theresa

Am Freitag, 14. August 2015 19:25:21 UTC+2 schrieb Scott R. Shinn:

> This is the right list, especially if you're contributing updates. So
> thanks for that!
>
> The existing lists are all static, we don't currently have a mechanism to
> update them, and at this time we don't have anyone updating the rootkit
> malware sources.  The original data was sourced from the rkhunter project,
> but since then it really hasnt been updated at all.
>
> The audit checks Ive been working on from time to time, and the assistance
> there would be great. Ive used both the CIS benchmarks and the DISA STIG's
> as source material there. Given the scope there (I think its something like
> 900 controls), Ive been doing PR's on them as I go along.
>
> -Scott
>
> On Fri, 2015-08-14 at 10:06 -0700, theresa mic-snare wrote:
>
> hi guys,
>
> i'm not sure if this actually belongs on the regular ossec-list or here...
> i'm not the expert here and only just dived into ossec..but how does the
> threat and malware detection work in ossec? it seems a bit "static" to me,
> since the checks are being based on .txt files that came with the
> installation.
> how does ossec discover new threats or exploits like shellshock,
> heartbleed, poodle, freak? does it even scan for these?
> are there any plans to interact with a dynamic threat database (such as
> OTX?)!
>
> i'm currently working on the cis_rhel6_linux_cl checks...as soon as it's
> complete i will create a pull request on github.
>
> and sorry, if this is on the wrong mailing list.
>
> cheers,
> theresa
>
> --
>
> ---