List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Multiple vulnerabilities in Jenkins plugins
From:       Demi Marie Obenour <demi () invisiblethingslab ! com>
Date:       2023-08-16 13:23:33

On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 03:11:18PM +0200, Daniel Beck wrote:
> Jenkins is an open source automation server which enables developers around
> the world to reliably build, test, and deploy their software.
>
> The following releases contain fixes for security vulnerabilities:
>
> * Blue Ocean Plugin 1.27.5.1
> * Config File Provider Plugin 953.v0432a_802e4d2
> * Delphix Plugin 3.0.3
> * Flaky Test Handler Plugin 1.2.3
> * Folders Plugin 6.848.ve3b_fd7839a_81
> * Fortify Plugin 22.2.39
> * NodeJS Plugin 1.6.0.1
> * Shortcut Job Plugin 0.5
> * Tuleap Authentication Plugin 1.1.21
>
> Additionally, we announce unresolved security issues in the following
> plugins:
>
> * Docker Swarm Plugin
> * Favorite View Plugin
> * Gogs Plugin
> * Maven Artifact ChoiceListProvider (Nexus) Plugin
>
> Summaries of the vulnerabilities are below. More details, severity, and
> attribution can be found here:
> https://www.jenkins.io/security/advisory/2023-08-16/
>
> We provide advance notification for security updates on this mailing list:
> https://groups.google.com/d/forum/jenkinsci-advisories
>
> If you discover security vulnerabilities in Jenkins, please report them as
> described here:
> https://www.jenkins.io/security/#reporting-vulnerabilities
>
> ---
>
> SECURITY-3106 / CVE-2023-40336
> Folders Plugin 6.846.v23698686f0f6 and earlier does not require POST
> requests for an HTTP endpoint, resulting in a cross-site request forgery
> (CSRF) vulnerability.
>
> This vulnerability allows attackers to copy an item, which could
> potentially automatically approve unsandboxed scripts and allow the
> execution of unsafe scripts.
>

> SECURITY-3105 / CVE-2023-40337
> Folders Plugin 6.846.v23698686f0f6 and earlier does not require POST
> requests for an HTTP endpoint, resulting in a cross-site request forgery
> (CSRF) vulnerability.
>
> This vulnerability allows attackers to copy a view inside a folder.
>

> SECURITY-3109 / CVE-2023-40338
> Folders Plugin displays an error message when attempting to access the Scan
> Organization Folder Log if no logs are available.
>
> In Folders Plugin 6.846.v23698686f0f6 and earlier, this error message
> includes the absolute path of a log file, exposing information about the
> Jenkins controller file system.
>

> SECURITY-3090 / CVE-2023-40339
> Config File Provider Plugin 952.va_544a_6234b_46 and earlier does not mask
> (i.e., replace with asterisks) credentials specified in configuration files
> when they're written to the build log.
>

> SECURITY-3196 / CVE-2023-40340
> NodeJS Plugin integrates with Config File Provider Plugin to specify custom
> NPM settings, including credentials for authentication, in a Npm config
> file.
>
> NodeJS Plugin 1.6.0 and earlier does not properly mask (i.e., replace with
> asterisks) credentials specified in the Npm config file in Pipeline build
> [...]

I strongly recommend that Jenkins add the following:

- Documentation recommending that Jenkins _not_ be exposed to the public
  Internet, due to its very large attack surface.

- A configuration option to disable all plugins with known
  vulnerabilities.

- A process for removing plugins whose maintainers do not resolve
  security vulnerabilities reasonably quickly.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)