List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Re: CVE-2022-1348 logrotate: potential DoS from unprivileged users via the state
From:       Kamil Dudka <kdudka () redhat ! com>
Date:       2022-05-25 15:41:03

On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 4:07:34 PM CEST Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> On 2022-05-25 09:37, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> >>
> >> FWIW, I don't think the patch actually works when logrotate is built with
> >> ACL support...
> >>
> >> Marc.
> >
> > You are right.  Although the patch mitigates the security issue, it is not
> >
> > perfect.  I had already opened an upstream pull request to improve it:
> >     https://github.com/logrotate/logrotate/pull/446
> >
> > I might create a bug fix release soon with the patch included.
> >
> > Sorry for the troubles!
> >
> > Kamil
>
> Oh! I had not seen that pull request. Thanks, that should solve the issue!
>
> Marc.

Thanks for confirmation!  I have merged the pull request and released 3.20.1:

    https://github.com/logrotate/logrotate/releases/tag/3.20.1

The following two commits should be cherry-picked for older releases
of logrotate (from 3.17.0 to 3.19.0):

    https://github.com/logrotate/logrotate/commit/1f76a381e2caa0603ae3dbc51ed0f1aa0d6658b9
    https://github.com/logrotate/logrotate/commit/addbd293242b0b78aa54f054e6c1d249451f137d

Kamil