List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Security fixes from Android 10 release which are relevant outside the Android eco
From:       Stiepan <stie () protonmail ! ch>
Date:       2019-10-26 22:44:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

As someone who used Android & did my studies on how to secure it and what was missing for that, \
I can say that Androids still dream of electric blowfishes - or rather threefish-512 ;) - and \
will do so for a while, especially now that the only part that was open seems is no more. By \
that virtue, it lost the biggest  advantage it had versus the better polished iOS. And doing \
that helps red-scarfed black-hats, who can hack into most of the open-source Android variants, \
which would not be the case if the latter had access to up to date, well-vetted security infos \
(unlike that late 2018 fix that made it even more vulnerable), and that extends to \
linux-distros by the by. Embargoes are bad. Sure, that made me buy an iPhone, which is good \
commercially for Apple and I salute their privacy makeup*, but being forced to do so as the \
                collateral victim of a trade war is less cool.
*as in definition 6 of the wordreference entry for that word, "A special examination for a \
student who has been absent ...".