List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Re: CVE-2017-16845 Qemu: ps2: information leakage via post_load routine
From:       P J P <ppandit () redhat ! com>
Date:       2017-11-22 6:55:23

  Hello Ian,

+-- On Tue, 21 Nov 2017, Ian Zimmerman wrote --+
| >   -> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2017-11/msg02982.html
|
| Hi, what can I do with these QEMU reports?  I can try to apply the
| patch, but I have no idea if it will work, because I don't know which
| branch or revision it is based on.

  Patch is sent against upstream Qemu git repository(below) and is merged
after due review on the -devel list.

  -> https://git.qemu.org/?p=qemu.git;a=summary

| By my unscientific counting, there are only 2 other userspace projects which
| earn CVEs as frequently as QEMU: openjpeg and graphicsmagick.  In both these
| cases, starting with the message posted here and following the references, I
| can quickly locate the actual VC commit (in git and mercurial, respectively)
| and thus have a sound basis for deciding what to do: patch, wait for an
| updated distro package, or fork the distro package.
|
| Is there a reason why that cannot be done with QEMU?

Reviewed patches soon show-up in the above master repository. In this case, it
so happened that an earlier version v1 of the patch was more acceptable

  -> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2017-11/msg02946.html

It should make it upstream soon, I'll update here accordingly.

Thank you.
--
Prasad J Pandit / Red Hat Product Security Team
47AF CE69 3A90 54AA 9045 1053 DD13 3D32 FE5B 041F