List:       oss-security
Subject:    [oss-security] yadm: CVE-2017-11353: race condition allows access to SSH and PGP keys
From:       Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil () debian ! org>
Date:       2017-07-17 4:41:04

Hi

As reported by Daniel Shahaf in the Debian bugtracker at

https://bugs.debian.org/868300

yadm (Yet Another Dotfile Manager) 1.10.0 has a race condition
(related to the behavior of git commands in setting permissions for
new files and directories), which potentially allows access to SSH and
PGP keys.

Quoting his report:

> Dear Maintainer,
>
> In its default configuration, yadm ensures that .ssh/ and .gnupg/ files are
> readable by the owner only.  That is implemented by running 'chmod' on the
> files after they have been created:
>
>     https://sources.debian.net/src/yadm/1.10.0-1/yadm/#L671
>
> That way has a race condition: whilst the git worktree is being checked out,
> the .ssh and .gnupg files have the permissions of the user's umask.  I added a
> debug printf just before the 'chmod' and it showed .ssh/ and .ssh/config having
> permissions  «u=rwX,go=rX », i.e., world readable.

Upstream bugreport: https://github.com/TheLocehiliosan/yadm/issues/74

MITRE has assigned CVE-2017-11353 for this issue.

Regards,
Salvatore