List:       oss-security
Subject:    [oss-security] Re: CVE request: reads out-of-bounds with cpio 2.11
From:       Petter Reinholdtsen <pere () hungry ! com>
Date:       2016-06-14 8:39:05

>> Two reads out-of-bounds in cpio 2.11 were found in the parsing of cpio
>> files

Note, testing with valgrind show that after the out-of-bounds reads,
there is an out-of-bounds write too.  The issue is triggered by a
file name length of zero in an internal data structure.  This cases
the code to do operations on a buffer returned by malloc(0), first a memory
access, then a memory write and finally a lstat().

I've send the valgrind output and a patch to fix it to

I have no idea if the issue is a security issue, though.  I could not
come up with a way to use the unwanted reads and writes for anything
interesting.
--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen