List:       oss-security
Subject:    [oss-security] ELF PLT changes in gcc/binutils/glibc
From:       Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat ! com>
Date:       2015-05-26 9:56:41

There are some changes in the pipeline which change the way dynamic
linking works, particularly in combination with BIND_NOW/-z now:

GCC and -fno-plt:

  <https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2015-05/msg00231.html>

binutils PLT->GOT elision with -Wl,z,now:

  <https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2015-05/msg00145.html>

glibc fixes for binutils changes:

  <https://www.sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2015-05/msg00560.html>

I have been asked to comment on these developments, but I feel that I
lack sufficient data to make a recommendation one way or the other.  I
know that some people feel strongly about ROP opportunities and indirect
calls, so they might want to comment (presumably on the glibc mailing
list, libc-alpha).