List:       oss-security
Subject:    [oss-security] Re: Insecure file upload in Berta CMS
From:       Simon Waters <simon.waters () surevine ! com>
Date:       2015-03-30 11:35:43

> On 28 Mar 2015, at 05:47, cve-assign@mitre.org wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> > http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2015/Mar/155
>
> > We found that the file upload didn't require authentication.
>
> Use CVE-2015-2780 for this "didn't require authentication" issue.

Thanks

> The ability to bypass image validation by using certain .php files
> that begin with a "GIF89" substring might be considered a bug, but is
> perhaps not a security bug.

Your analysis is similar to mine, and private correspondence with the developer.

I've added a comment to PHP docs for getimagesize to remind folks it doesn't validate images, I \
don't think this is a bug.

It might be a useful feature for PHP to have a simple file upload validation (Image magick has \
one), but there is no guarantee that valid files won't be misinterpreted as malicious if you \
can get them interpreted in an inappropriate context.

["signature.asc" (signature.asc)]