List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Re: libyaml / YAML-LibYAML DoS
From:       Jonathan Gray <jsg () jsg ! id ! au>
Date:       2014-11-29 1:44:38

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 03:04:11PM -0500, cve-assign@mitre.org wrote:

> > a crash/denial of service with untrusted yaml input.
>
> > https://bitbucket.org/xi/libyaml/issue/10/wrapped-strings-cause-assert-failure
>
> > https://github.com/yaml/libyaml/commit/e6aa721cc0e5a48f408c52355559fd36780ba32a
>
> Use CVE-2014-9130 for this Reachable Assertion issue in the libyaml
> scanner.c file.
>
> Our understanding is that YAML-XS is a Perl wrapper module for the
> libyaml C library, and that there isn't separate Perl code in
> question. The rest of this message is a discussion of Python that
> does not affect the Jonathan Gray CVE request.

YAML-XS is not a direct wrapper it includes a version of the scanner.c
code in question along with other parts of the libyaml code.

That is why YAML-XS had to be patched seperately for
CVE-2014-2525 and CVE-2013-6393.

It should be noted that the libyaml author has made a commit
to remove the assertion but has not yet made a new release:
https://bitbucket.org/xi/libyaml/commits/2b9156756423e967cfd09a61d125d883fca6f4f2