List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] OpenBSD patch issue also affects GNU patch
From:       Tobias Stoeckmann <tobias () stoeckmann ! org>
Date:       2014-11-26 9:13:33

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 03:37:59PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 11/25/14 03:28 PM, Hanno Böck wrote:
> >I don't know if this is a random coincidence or if gnu patch and
> >openbsd patch share some common ancestor code (haven't checked details).
>
> I believe both descended from Larry Wall's original patch program.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_%28Unix%29

Correct, the BSD patch programs (which mostly derived from OpenBSD
these days) are siblings to GNU patch, therefore the basic fundamentals
are equal, yet they differ among their functionality.  In this regard,
GNU patch is definitely leading.

After creating a patch for OpenBSD, I have also created a bug report
through bug-patch@, here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-patch/2014-11/msg00007.html

So by now, there are two reports.  Good to see that this was discovered
on an OpenBSD mailing list and reported to other software projects, too!

Tobias