List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] CVE request: dovecot : "APPEND" Parameters Processing Denial of Service Vulnerabi
From:       Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat ! com>
Date:       2013-05-24 7:17:40

[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=695138#15

>> this time the CVE identifier should be allocated / issue is
>> valid, right?
>>
>> While in the former [1], [2] case just the connection for the
>> user issuing the command would crash, this time (assuming) either
>> whole dovecot daemon might hang or even if the whole daemon
>> wouldn't hang (and request is handled within a thread), that
>> request would made the particular thread to consume excessive
>> amount of CPU due to infinite loop, right?
>
> A logged in user can cause his own IMAP connection process to eat
> 100% CPU, so it won't immediately hang other users. By default
> users can log in max. 10 times from the same IP, so attacker
> requires many IPs to cause a real DoS. And of course a valid user
> account, which means it will be immediately visible to admin who is
> causing the system to slow down.
>
>> Timo, can you confirm / disprove a CVE identifier should be
>> assigned to this?
>
> I'm not against it, but I don't see this as that big of an issue,
> especially with v2.2 still not being widely used.

Yeah, we can't guarantee that can we. For all we know someone used it
in a major deployment/system image/who knows.

Please use CVE-2013-2111 for this issue.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993