List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Medium severity flaw with Perl 5
From:       Eitan Adler <lists () eitanadler ! com>
Date:       2012-10-27 19:08:00

On 26 October 2012 04:48, Tim Brown <timb@nth-dimension.org.uk> wrote:
> I recently discovered that Perl 5 interpreter is vulnerable to memory
> corruption when large values are supplied to the x operator.
>
> After discussions with the vendor, CVE-2012-5195 was assigned to this
> vulnerability.
>
> I know Red Hat and Debian have picked it up, but I'm not sure about other
> vendors.

On FreeBSD

on amd64: typedef __uint64_t __size_t;
on i386 I believe __size_t is __unit32_t;

Since memset takes a size_t (typedefed of __size_t) a negative number
would either be optimized out or turned into a large positive number.
As such there is no negative offset or negative jump.

and such  we are not vulnerable.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

--
Eitan Adler