List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] XSLT issue in MoinMoin
From:       Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat ! com>
Date:       2012-01-26 23:48:50

On 01/24/2012 02:37 PM, Nicolas Grégoire wrote:

>> How exactly does the attacker get access to the filesystem using XSLT?
>
> An attacker can read files using either the doc-as-string() extension
> function or a XML External Entity attack. Write access is done via the
> <exsl:document> extension element.
>
> Depending of your policy, you may want to affect one, two or three CVE
> (one by vector ? by impact ? by type of bug ?).
>
>> Does everything using 4Suite have this issue?
>
> Yes. Unless an obscure and undocumented option allows to deactivate this
> behavior :-(
>
> My XSLT Wiki has some additional details, including PoC code :
> - http://goo.gl/3A7h2 (4Suite)
> - http://goo.gl/GI5NK (MoinMoin)
>
> Regards,
> Nicolas

I think this issue warrants some more discussion, is the vuln in
moinmoin (and by extension anyone using 4Suite in a similar manner), or
is it a 4Suite issue (and in this case it's intended behaviour and not a
security issue?). Steve: care to weigh in?

--
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)