List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Multiple libraries privilege checking
From:       Sebastian Krahmer <krahmer () suse ! de>
Date:       2011-05-23 6:39:51

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:45:23AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 01:18:33PM +0200, Sebastian Krahmer wrote:
> > I uploaded a openssl-1.0.0d patch to
> >
> > http://suse.de/~krahmer/libs-vs-fscaps
>
> Thank you!
>
> > The prefered way is to check the dumpable flag via prctl() which
> > is detected by the config script.
>
> This is fail-open (at build time).  If the -e "/usr/include/sys/prctl.h"
> check somehow fails, we silently get an insecure build.  Of course,

Honestly, that was the easiest I could do in that time frame. The openssl
config is a bit weird to me and the openssl project is not even providing
distclean source tarballs for download (they contain symlinks etc.).
It is also rather meant as a help for upstream which they could use as a base.
I am sure they know better how to combine it with their config scripts
and I am happy with changes as long as our resulting binary contains
the hardening. I will try to ping the openssl developers about it.

Sebastian

--

~ perl self.pl
~ $_='print"\$_=\47$_\47;eval"';eval