List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Suid mount helpers fail to anticipate RLIMIT_FSIZE
From:       "Patrick J. Volkerding" <security () slackware ! com>
Date:       2011-03-31 17:55:47

On 03/31/2011 08:43 AM, Dan Rosenberg wrote:
> I'd also
> like to see distributions migrating away from /etc/mtab in general,
> since /proc/mounts seems like a much better replacement.

I imagine that mount's -f (fake mount by editing mtab) and -n (mount
without editing mtab) options are not going to work if /etc/mtab becomes
a symbolic link to /proc/mounts, so that's liable to break a few things.
  In the long run it does seem like a good plan, but there might be a
few bumps in the road.  I wonder what the rationale was for faking mtab
mounts in the first place?