List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Minor security flaw with pam_xauth
From:       "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus ! mitre ! org>
Date:       2010-08-16 17:19:06

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Tim Brown wrote:

> I don't think this needs a CVE as I haven't found a useful way to exploit it
> but maybe someone on here will spot something I've missed.  Either way, I
> would have thought it should be fixed.

If the attacker can execute an 'extra' process in violation of
RLIMIT_NPROC, then that would be technically a violation of the *intended*
security policy, so it would count for CVE inclusion by itself - even if
you can't manipulate the issue for code execution.  (Though somehow
manipulating the xauth authority file may be fruitful to mess around with
the display as root.)

Thoughts?

- Steve