List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Linux/QEMU issue
From:       "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus ! mitre ! org>
Date:       2009-12-23 22:21:14

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, Jamie Strandboge wrote:

> The bug is really two parts though: the qemu issue which crashes the
> guest, and the guest kernel writing garbage to the virtio net backend.

There are three options for how to handle this:

- create separate CVEs, one for QEMU and one for virtio net
- create one CVE, concentrating on QEMU, with virtio net as an example
- create one CVE, concentrating on virtio new, mentioning the impact on
   QEMU

In the discussion in http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/56479/, I don't see
any clear resolution about whether it's a security problem that qemu exits
in situations other than an ACPI shutdown.  I don't know qemu/kvm so I
can't be sure; if qemu can support multiple hosts at the same time, and a
crash in one host triggers a qemu crash/exit that affects all the hosts,
then I would call this an issue in qemu.  If there's an attack angle to
prevent forensics analysis, then that might be a reasonable argument, too.

If virtio net (whatever that is) exhibits this behavior in "normal" non-VM
situations, then it should get a CVE itself.  But if it's closely tied to
qemu, or to VMs in general, then I'm less certain.

VMs can stretch our older notions about threat models, and I suspect
that's why this is difficult to handle.

- Steve