List:       oss-security
Subject:    Re: [oss-security] Re: Update - Re: [oss-security] CVE request? buffer overflow in CIFS in 2.6.*
From:       Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse ! de>
Date:       2009-05-15 15:09:41

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 01:01:11PM -0400, Steven M. Christey wrote:

> > These fixes need to be tagged to a CVE.
>
> Use CVE-2009-1633, to be filled in later.  This CVE should be anchored
> *only* on the issue above.
>
> I'm almost afraid to ask what relationship there is between the above
> commits and the extensive list of other issues from Jeff Layton, which
> lists the above commit and a ton of others.  Mark Cox or Josh Bressers,
> this might be a good time for you to step in CNA-wise?

The string conversion code in the CIFS module handling was rewritten
to be able to handle destination buffer sizes.

Its basically starting with this commit:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=7fabf0c9479fef9fdb9528a5fbdb1cb744a744a4
 and then conversions of the code to it.

I am however not sure of how much needs to be backported, I guess only
the stuff already with CVE entries.

Ciao, Marcus