List:       osgeo-discuss
Subject:    Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] [osgeo4w-dev] OSGeo4W missing in new website
From:       "Helmut Kudrnovsky" <hellik () web ! de>
Date:       2018-01-21 16:21:37

Hi Guido,

thanks for pointing to the mail entry.

> I think you should be able to add the project when you are ready.

As already mentioned in my reply to Jody, OSGeo4W may be ready as it exists about 10 \
years now.

Helmut

Gesendet: Sonntag, 21. Januar 2018 um 03:42 Uhr
Von: "Guido Stein"
An: "Helmut Kudrnovsky"
Cc: discuss@lists.osgeo.org, osgeo4w-dev@lists.osgeo.org
Betreff: Re: [osgeo4w-dev] OSGeo4W missing in new website

Hey Helmut,

I have been following along with all the emails about the new website with great \
excitement. I am very proud of the work the Marketing committee did in getting this \
site up and on messaging with the community about the processes.
I believe that there were emails sent around about project sites a couple of times \
over the last year, but here is the latest one I could find:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/incomplete-project-pages-tp5349455.html

I think you should be able to add the project when you are ready.

I hope this helps,

Guido

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 3:50 PM Helmut Kudrnovsky \
<hellik@web.de[mailto:hellik@web.de]> wrote:Hi community,

as we've seen in the Google Codeā€‘in contest and students' feedback, MS windows is \
still an important operating system within the user base of the OSGeo stack.

Beside the windows standalone installers of e.g. QGIS or winGRASS (both are based \
upon OSGeo4W), the OSGeo4W framework itself is a very important platform to deliver \
the OSGeo stack to the users of this operating system.

As an example, when I'm helping winGRASS users on the GRASS user ML, I'm often \
refering to use OSGeo4W-winGRASS in order to check if the issue/problem is also \
there.

Furthermore, OSGeo4W is also an important testing platform as it's possible to \
use/test the latest greatest dailys of e.g. QGIS3 or GRASS7.4svn on the windows \
operating system.

Another example, University of Vienna deploys OSGeo4W to all its public students PCs.

Searching [1] and screening the new website, there seems to be no information \
about/no link to OSGeo4W [2].

Is this intentional? Just overseen?

OSGeo will loose new and interested users of the OSGeo software stack when no one can \
find the nice framework for the still most used operating system.

Kind regards
Helmut

OSGeo charter member

[1] https://www.osgeo.org/search/OSGeo4W[https://www.osgeo.org/search/OSGeo4W]