List:       osgeo-discuss
Subject:    Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Questionnaire about Geoprocessing Algorithms
From:       Howard Butler <howard () hobu ! co>
Date:       2016-12-19 17:10:49

> On Dec 17, 2016, at 8:33 AM, Eduardo Silverio da Silva \
> <eduardosilverio1990@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Osgeo members,
>
> Here is Eduardo Silverio da Silva, from UFPR in Curitiba, Brazil. I am a master's \
> student in Geodetic Sciences. I am contacting this community because I would like \
> some help to answer and to share my questionnaire about geoprocessing \
> algorithms/codes:
> I look forward to hearing from you.

Dear Eduardo,

No. While I understand the desire to get data for your program, these emails to \
nearly every OSGeo (please note spelling and capitalization) mailing list are \
excessive, poorly targeted, and in extremely poor taste. The people you probably wish \
to have submissions from are likely subscribed to multiple OSGeo mailing lists (I got \
10 copies!), and like myself, are unwilling to support your effort on account of your \
rather lazy and poorly thought through spam.

OSGeo mailing lists are public goods, and your use in this fashion unfairly takes \
advantage of them in my opinion. If your link were to V1agrA pills instead of a \
survey, you would have been rightly banned, but the approach you've taken is no \
different.

The people on OSGeo mailing lists are not your research population. Please refrain \
spamming emails across our organization like you have done in the future.

Howard