List:       osgeo-discuss
Subject:    Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] "Geo for All" Heros 2014
From:       Anne Ghisla <a.ghisla () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-12-17 14:46:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 08:54:53 +0100
Jorge Sanz <jsanz@osgeo.org> wrote:

> I want to join this praise thread. That list is full of passion (well
> and also Suchith). Working on to the education of new geospatial and
> open minded professionals deserve that Hero tag.
>
> Thanks!!

A warm thank you to the Heroes nominated by Suchith, and all the people
who actively work on the Education initiative for open geospatial. It
is pretty much uncharted territory in a crucial domain (as Suchith
said, we are reaching out to the world citizens of tomorrow!), so the
praise is double.

Thank you all for your contributions!

Kind regards
Anne

> [...]
> >> *"Geo for All" Heros*.  But i thought it will be appropriate to
> >> acknowledge some of our amazing people whose work and efforts has
> >> inspired all of us a lot.
> >>
> >> *Sergio Acosta y Lara and colleague*s at gvSIG Batoví initiative in
> >> Uruguay who have done amazing contribution for widening high
> >> quality education opportunities for students all across Uruguay
> >> through the  wider CEIBAL Initiative http://www.ceibal.org.uy/
> >> by developing excellent educational tools that enables primary and
> >> secondary education students to understand space, to easily
> >> interpret maps and to learn free technologies. The video link
> >> (with English translation)
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orwN9K07XPo speaks for itself the
> >> contribution of  CEIBAL and i hope this will inspire other
> >> developing and poor countries to invest in free and open
> >> technologies in primary and secondary school education, so that
> >> the students (esp. from poor backgrounds) will also get access to
> >> high quality educational resources and opportunities.
> >>
> >> *Professor Maria Brovelli* who is  respected by everyone in the
> >> FOSS4G community for not only her great research contributions but
> >> also for her kindness and compassion. Her background support and
> >> work on many initiatives from NASA Worldwind Europa Challenge to
> >> various Summer Schools and now working hard to host the
> >> FOSS4G-Europe in 2015, clearly shows her commitment for widening
> >> education opportunities in Geospatial for everyone.
> >>
> >> *Jason Sadler* from University of Southampton has worked hard to
> >> develop and maintain our Geo for All http://www.geoforall.org
> >> <http://www.geoforall.org/> website. We all are grateful for his
> >> and other colleagues at Southampton's efforts and contributions
> >> for this. Also *Luca Delucchi *and *Vaclav Petras* who helped
> >> create the dynamic map for Geo for All labs.
> >>
> >> *Lluis Vicens* of SIGTE , University of Girona is the driving force
> >> behind the very successful Open Source GIS Summer School Initiative
> >> http://www.sigte.udg.edu/summerschool2014/
> >>   which is now in its fifth year. By making available all the
> >> teaching materials for the Summer School to everyone through the
> >> website , its impact is not only for students who attend the
> >> summer school  but for everyone.
> >>
> >> *Dr Rafael Moreno* of University of Colarado, Denver, USA who has
> >> not only the driving force for the FOSS4G lab at University of
> >> Colarado http://geospatial.ucdenver.edu/foss4g/
> >>   but also been working hard to provide geo education
> >> opportunities to more staff and students in other countries.
> >>
> >> So big thank you for all of you for your  contributions to Open
> >> Education and your work and contributions will keep inspiring all
> >> of us for the future. The fundamental principle of "Geo for All"
> >> is to  enable education opportunities for everyone and Openness in
> >> Education (Free and Open software, open standards, open data, open
> >> access to research publications)  provide great opportunities for

Anne
--
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Aghisla