List:       osgeo-discuss
Subject:    Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Copy Left and Copyright for Geospatial software
From:       Venkatesh Raghavan <raghavan () media ! osaka-cu ! ac ! jp>
Date:       2013-10-19 7:52:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Rajan and All,

I think Ravi was seeking clarification about "All Rights Reserved"
mentioned in some of
the OSGeo Software's copyright notices.

  © symbol or word "Copyright" followed publication date and copyright
owner's name
should be adequate (like in many web sites) to be protected under copyright.

Also, since Open Sources licenses [1] grant rights to the users (rather
than reserving
them with copyright owner) removing "All Rights Reserved" would reduce
confusion.

"All rights reserved" is a legacy and persists although not required by
copyright laws
in most countries.

Venka

[1] http://opensource.org/licenses