List:       osgeo-discuss
Subject:    Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] First Latin American Conference of Free and	Open Source GIS
From:       Mauricio Bendeck <mauriciob () groupmab ! net>
Date:       2012-06-15 5:28:53

Hi Maria =

Appreciate the efforts. Would be happy to be of guidance/assistance when co=
ntacted by Indira. =

Kind regards,
Mauricio +1 305 484 1355

On Jun 14, 2012, at 5:35 PM, "Maria Brovelli" <brvmnt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mauricio and All spanish local chapter members
> =

> many thanks for your nice answer.
> I'm writing in English because I can't write in Spanish (sorry!!!) but In=
dira will then contact you in Spanish.
> =

> I'm involved in OSGeo Edu and I teach at Politecnico di Milano (or better=
 at the moment  I'm a vice rector of the Como campus of Politecnico di Mila=
no). I had the occasion of meeting the colleagues from Escuela Politecnica =
del Litoral in Milan and offered myself in help them in organizing a Confer=
ence on Free and open Source GIS.
> I'm also co-chair  of an ISPRS WG (http://www.commission4.isprs.org/wg5/)=
 and my WG could also help in organizing the conference.
> =

> Today I spoke with Rafael Moreno (who is from Mexico and now lives in Den=
ver and who organised the FOSS4G Academic track in Denver) and he is also e=
nthusiast about the idea of organizing a Conference in Latin America.
> =

> =

> In my opinion the best is to join the efforts in such a way to maximise t=
he result.
> Indira will contact you to discuss what it is better to do.
> I'm very pleased if I can help. Anyway what is really important is to hav=
e created this connection.
> Many thanks!!
> Cheers.
> Maria
> =

> =

> =

> =

> =

> 2012/6/12 Maria Brovelli <brvmnt@gmail.com<mailto:brvmnt@gmail.com>>
> Escuela Superior Polit=E9cnica del Litoral - Guayaquil - Ecuador
> with Politecnico di Milano and ISPRS WG IV/5 (Distributed and Web-Based G=
eoinformation Services and Applications)
> =

> is organizing in Guayaquil  the
> =

> =

> First Latin American Conference of Free and Open Source GIS - I Congreso =
Latinoamericano de Aplicaci=F3n de Sistemas de Informaci=F3n Geogr=E1fica (=
SIG) de c=F3digo libre y abierto.
> =

> Background of the event
> The awareness about the necessity of integrating, if not basing, the most=
 of environmental and territorial analyses with geography and mapping has b=
een growing at every administrative and governmental level. In the meanwhil=
e the success of application, like for instance Google Earth, demonstrates =
the dramatic curiosity and active interest of people with respect to the sp=
ace in which they live. Lowering barriers to contributing, making easier th=
e interaction and the possibility of participation will result in more phot=
os, maps and other pieces of information uploaded and therefore plays an im=
portant role in that success.
> The availability of a richer information (from institutional and/or crowd=
 sourced data) can help decision-makers in their activity.
> Free and Open Source Tools and Applications are rapidly increasing in num=
ber and quality. Many and different actors are involved in such a kind of p=
rocess: large and small companies, professional practitioners, public agenc=
ies, universities, research centers but also simple map lovers.
> The conference aims at foster interdisciplinary discussions in all aspect=
s of the geospatial and free and open source domains. The conference will b=
e organized in a way to promote networking between the participants, to ini=
tiate and favour discussions regarding cutting-edge technologies in the fie=
ld, to exchange research ideas and to promote national and international co=
llaboration.
> =

> Themes of the Event
> Presentations should cover aspects of the use or development of open sour=
ce GIS.
> Some topics of interest:
> =

>  *     Case Studies and Application of free and open source GIS
>  *     State of Development of free and open source GIS
>  *     Migration from proprietary to free and open source solutions: prob=
lems, advantages, drawbacks
> =

> The proposed dates of the event are: 24-25 October 2012.
> =

> Other possible co-organizers of the event are the Ecuadorian Secretary fo=
r Risk Management and ICA (requests sent, waiting for reply).