List:       osgeo-discuss
Subject:    Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Raster catalog ideas [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From:       "Lucena, Ivan" <ivan.lucena () pmldnet ! com>
Date:       2010-05-04 21:50:58

Hi Mike, Bruce,

We went to that discussion a couple of year ago, and by that time there was some \
strong opinion  against storing raster data on databases, but it look like time has \
changed things a little bit. Am  I right to say that? I can see basically three \
reasons for that.

1. Data volume.

Raster images are getting more and more accessible and whoever deals with big volume \
of those are  starting to feel the pain of managing it on files. I bet that people \
have started to think about why  spending so much money buying and maintaining huge \
Network Attached Storage (NAS) and end up making  a person do the job of a database \
server. They must realize that shared folders accessible by end  users is a problem \
not a solution. Yes, the systematical and disciplinary use of file based storage  is \
possible too, adding to that some sort of raster catalog, but adding to that also the \
trouble of  managing permission access on the NAS, backup procedures, temporary files \
management, and the result  is a full time position or two.

2. Performance.

The myth says: "the is always a overhead to access your raster data from a database \
in comparison to  accessing it directly from the file system". If you are talking \
about a single computer that might  be the case since fopen(), read(), write() \
doesn't need to make connections, check permission,  parse SQL statement to finally \
figure out where to read BLOBs with the same C functions. But as the  complexity of \
your storage grows the file based options will start to experience overhead too and  \
there will be not RDBMS server to do connection pooling or caching for you. Again, \
you can go to the  whole trouble of managing overviews and tile cache yourself. That \
means overhead for a file based  raster data server and more cost of maintaining it. \
Are we tied?

3. Examples

Satellite companies, data provider, government agency and consulting firms are giving \
good testimony  of their use of raster on database, so it might be true for the FOSS \
options too. The two examples  provided by Bruce are pretty good. Rasdaman only works \
with PostgreSQL while Terralib works with  directly with PostgreSQL, MySQL and \
commercial RDBMS systems. Both have some big projects to  showcase their muscles.

Please keep us posted.

Good luck.

Ivan