List:       osgeo-discuss
Subject:    RE: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open	File
From:       "Michael P. Gerlek" <mpg () lizardtech ! com>
Date:       2009-08-21 18:57:51

> Someone earlier in this thread spoke about some of these technologies
> being somewhat obsolete what with the new network and bandwidth speeds
> available for publishing.

I think the comment was that by hiding the data behind a server, you can reduce the \
users' exposure to a myriad of file formats, some possibly proprietary.  It's a good \
point.

You still need to store the data on the servers, though, so the technologies \
themselves are by no means obsolete -- it's just a question of who has to deal with \
them.

-mpg