List:       osflash-swfmill
Subject:    [swfmill] Problems importing SWF's
From:       rodo () nebular ! tv (Rodolfo Lopez  ()  nebular streams)
Date:       2009-01-27 14:47:43

Hi all!

Sorry for the late reply... been terribly busy lately :( Thanx a lot
guys for your detailed answers, specially Alex and Lynn.

My question was about problems importing v8 files, when sometimes
random stuff from the imported clips appeared in the main timeline. I
got suggestions of turning off the effects. I did and it works. I am
not very sure anyway about this solution, as I suspect there are
other Flash-8 elements bsides effects that cause this bug to appear.
I can't tell you which ones because I am not a designer and don't
know all the features of Flash 8 v Flash 7. But restricting to
Flash-7 content for imported clips (only) has worked 100% for me. I
have done many many tests and no problems so far. The rest of the
file can well be v8. I mean:

> > <movie width="1024" height="768" framerate="12" version="8">
		*** Version 8 output
> > <frame>
> > <clip id="FOO" import="classes.swf"/>
> > <library>
> > <clip id="menu" import="lib/menu_item.swf"/>
		*** version 7
> > </library>
> > <place id="FOO" depth="0" />
> > </frame>
> > </movie>

BTW... Lynn, what's that for? Why explicitly placing the classes
container on the timeline affects? And another question maybe realted
to that... I've found my life simpler for creating a classes.swf file
(with the Flash IDE) to place all the objects I want accessible from
ActionScript directly on the stage. Yeah, a really dirty stage :)
That way the resulting library is a mix between classes.swf and
swfmill imported clips. But I don't know the internals of that, if
it's a good idea or not. I still don't understand very good why, for
instance, those clips placed on the stage are not displayed as the
resuting SWF is loaded.

Cheers,
Rodolfo.

rodolfo lopez pintor