List:       osdl-lsb-discuss
Subject:    [lsb-discuss] Needed network interfaces
From:       mats.d.wichmann () intel ! com (Wichmann, Mats D)
Date:       2006-07-26 15:50:01

>inet_aton has always been excluded because:
>a. It isn't in POSIX
>b. No apps seemed to need it (clearly this one is wrong!!!)
>c. We didn't have good text to describe it.
>d. We had no test to test it.
>
>It could go on the candidate list

This topic is really the tip of a larger discussion,
which Robert has already dredged up from the murky
depths where we try to put it away.

The community has pretty much decreed inet_addr
deprecated in favor of inet_aton, the latter (as well as
inet_ntoa) are firmly rooted in IPv4 land; while we
do have the inet_ntop/inet_pton pair which will do
either IPv4 or IPV6.