List:       osc-announce
Subject:    [OSC-ANNOUNCE] [NEWS] osCommerce 3.0 Alpha 3 "Spekulatius" Released
From:       Harald Ponce de Leon <hpdl () oscommerce ! com>
Date:       2006-09-01 17:13:53

We are proud to announce the third alpha release in the osCommerce 3.0 development \
cycle and it is now available for general public testing. osCommerce 3.0 Alpha 3 \
"Spekulatius" is the first release to be made available to the public, where the \
first two alpha releases were made available to Community Sponsors only.

Alpha releases are made to showcase the new features being worked on and to \
generalize a version specific for testing to help fix and improve subsequent alpha \
releases for a final, stable, secure, and production ready 3.0 release.

Although we strive to keep alpha releases stable, the primary intentions of making \
alpha releases publicly available are for testing purposes only. The framework for \
3.0 is still under development and will change in subsequent alpha releases. No \
upgrade paths will be provided between alpha releases and are therefore not \
recommended for production use.

Some of the new features that are made available in this release include:

* New object-oriented framework (alpha 1)
* New installation routine (alpha 1)
* register_globals and magic_quotes_gpc compatibility (alpha 1)
* New template structure implementation (alpha 1)
* Search-engine optimizations (alpha 1)
* Service modules (alpha 1)
* Checkout procedure cleanup (alpha 2)
* New language definitions implementation (alpha 2)
* Updated payment modules with post-transaction actions (alpha 3)
* Catalog front-end, administration tool, and installation routine combined (alpha 3)
* XHTML/CSS based default template layout for the catalog side (alpha 3)
* Multiple product images implementation (alpha 3)
* New action modules (alpha 3)
* ... and more! (application_top.php has never been so clean!)

The full osCommerce 3.0 roadmap can be seen here:

http://svn.oscommerce.com/trac/roadmap?show=all

We'd like to specially thank the following community members for extensively helping \
out in testing this release:

Anders Pamdal (Tech2000)
Alan Rogers (AlanR)
Ryan (rkoechel2004)
Frank Heinen (F.R.@.N.K)

The osCommerce 3.0 Alpha 3 "Spekulatius" release can be downloaded here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/redirect.php/go,36 (hosted at Sunsite.dk)

We welcome all public interest in testing development alpha releases to help further \
improve the 3.0 release. All development activity can be seen at the osCommerce \
Development Site here:

http://svn.oscommerce.com/trac

If you experience problems with this release, please create a new ticket at the \
Development Site with the relevant information. Discussions regarding the development \
of osCommerce are held in the osCommerce Development channels on the Community \
Support forums:

http://forums.oscommerce.com/index.php?showforum=43

We wish you the best of fun with testing this release, and look forward to your \
feedback!

This announcement can be discussed on the community support forums at:

http://forums.oscommerce.com/index.php?showtopic= 225889

--
The osCommerce Team
http://www.oscommerce.com