List:       orocos-dev
Subject:    [Orocos-Dev] Orocos vs Orca [Was: Installation issues Orocos 1.0]
From:       peter.soetens () fmtc ! be (Peter Soetens)
Date:       2006-11-22 8:41:48

Quoting Jurge van Eijck <thefurb@gmail.com>:

> Dear Herman,
>
> 2006/11/20, Herman Bruyninckx <Herman.Bruyninckx@mech.kuleuven.be>:
>>
>> Strange... Why a more realtime-oriented framework like Orocos and not more
>> dedicated mobile robot frameworks like Orca or Player/Stage?
>>

> Thank you for suggestions.
>
> We planned to use Gazebo for simulation. Gazebo is the "standard" simulation
> environment in our competition.
> Therefor we need to use the Player-Interface.
>
> I took a quick look to Orca. Indeed it contains several functions which are
> really useful. I am missing the real-time control possibilities.

Have you yet decided upon your RTOS ? RTAI/LXRT or Xenomai ?

> Maybe we have to use an combination of Orca and Orocos.

Orca uses ICE for distribution, Orocos uses CORBA. ICE is a newer
technology with several advantages over CORBA, but it was not useful
for us (although we investigated it very thoroughly) because of the GPL
license (Orocos is LGPL) and the negotiations with ZeroC.com were very
difficult. We even never got a price.

Anyway, both are not real-time protocols, but in an environment like
Xenomai, you can get 'as real-time as possible' performance out of
these protocols (given a 'real-time' physical network). For Orocos,
this means that if you contact a component over a network from a
critical real-time thread, it may miss deadlines. On the other hand, if
a real-time Orocos component is being contacted over a network, it's
real-time behaviour is not disturbed. This allows critical tasks to
receive (and buffer) data from non critical tasks.

Peter
--
www.fmtc.be