List:       orocos-announce
Subject:    [Orocos] Orocos Toolchain 2.0.0 Released
From:       peter () thesourceworks ! com (Peter Soetens)
Date:       2010-09-07 20:37:01

The Orocos developers are proud to announce their first release
of the next-generation Orocos Toolchain for real-time and distributed
robotics. We wish to express our gratitude to everyone contributing
to this release which made it effectively the best real-time and
cross-platform robotics software framework in the world. We see
this as a starting point to build great applications for all our different
kinds of robots and machines.

The new Orocos Toolchain aims to provide all libraries, programs and
tools to quickly create machine control applications. It consists of the
Real-Time Toolkit 2.0, Orocos Component Library 2.0 and the orogen
code generator 2.0.

The most notable changes are:
* Typekits
  Typekits tell Orocos about the data you want to use. 'typegen'
  provides full code generation for typekits from existing C++ headers
  which contain user defined classes and structs. Orocos is the only
  framework that transparently supports C++ user defined types.
* Real-time Scripting
  The syntax is largely backwards-compatible, but allows far more
  expressive scripts.
* Services & Plugins
  The Orocos components are run-time extensible with plugins
  and services, which offer extra functionality only to components
  that need it.
* Data Flow interface and Transports
  A dramatic improvement in setting up and connecting data flow ports
  allows for highly re-usable components and flexible system architectures.
  Real-time inter-process data communication and efficient multi-protocol
  communications can be created from any port
* Operations interface
  Orocos components provide an asynchronous remote method
  interface to peer components through a single comprehensive
  primitive, the operation.

RTT 1.x users can check out this link to see a list of all changes:
http://www.orocos.org/stable/documentation/rtt/v2.0.x/doc-xml/orocos-rtt-changes.html

Upgrading instructions and scripts can be found here:
http://www.orocos.org/wiki/rtt/rtt-20/upgrading-rtt-1x-20

If you want to install the Orocos Toolchain on your system,
you can find out how by visiting this page:
http://www.orocos.org/toolchain

Finally, start building components here:
http://www.orocos.org/stable/documentation/rtt/v2.0.x/doc-xml/orocos-components-manual.html

All files are also available with the .pdf extension.

We will focus now on polishing the documentation, website and examples,
and help out new users and with migrations.
A list of features for the 2.1 release will be announced later on.

The Orocos Toolchain developers.