List:       orinoco-users
Subject:    Re: [Orinoco-users] WEP problem
From:       Pavel Roskin <proski () gnu ! org>
Date:       2007-05-20 3:54:46

Hello!

On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 11:41 +0200, Agustin Guerrero wrote:
> Hello:
>
> My wireless card is:
> Model: "Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC] Wireless Access PCI Adapter
> Model 022415"
>   Vendor: pci 0x16ec "U.S. Robotics"
>   Device: pci 0x3685 "Wireless Access PCI Adapter Model 022415"

This should be supported by orinoco_plx.

> >lspci:
> 00:0b.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890
> [Prism GT/Prism Duette] (rev 01)

But this is a different device, which needs Prism54 drivers (there are
many of them, and I don't know the details).  It is not supported by
either HostAP or Orinoco.

> The driver orinoco_plx works fine without encryption.
> Wen setting a WEP key with iwconfig the message is:
> "Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A): SET failed on device
> eth1: Operation nor supported"
>
> The card is not the problem, because it works fine with the hostap_plx
> driver and WEP encode.
>
> How can I fix the orinoco_plx driver?

Please see the kernel messages.  They are shown by the "dmesg" command.
You should be able to see the firmware version of the card and the
version of the Orinoco driver.

I think some old Orinoco drivers could mistake Prism chipset for Lucent
for certain firmware versions.  That would make some operations fail.

Please always provide version of all involved software.  In this case,
versions of the drivers, kernel and wireless tools may be relevant.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin