List:       orinoco-devel
Subject:    [Orinoco-devel] Re: Orinoco + NetworkManager = No signal strengh
From:       Mark Hellman <markhellman () techie ! com>
Date:       2006-05-04 14:31:24

Pavel Roskin wrote:

> I'm not going to check userspace software other than wireless tools for
> compatibility with the driver.  If wireless tools can work with the
> driver, then other software should also be able to.  If you think
> otherwise, I'd like to hear detailed arguments.

Hello Pavel,

Please mind that I am not involved in NetworkManager development, nor I am
aware of its internals. I just wanted to let orinoco developers know about
a problem that afects orinoco cards with NetworkManager. It doesn't affect
the Intel or other native drivers.

Almost every distribution is starting to use NetworkManager. Soon it will be
the way 99% of Linux desktop users will manage their wireless connections.
I am not telling in this case that orinoco is broken and NetworkManager is
behaving correctly. It might well be the other way around.

I will try to read NetworkManager code and give you a more detailed opinion.

Mark