List:       oprofile-list
Subject:    Re: Installation Questions
From:       Maynard Johnson <maynardj () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2012-09-10 13:18:47

On 09/07/2012 05:46 PM, Hei Chan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded oprofile 0.98, and installed:
> $ ./configure --with-kernel-support
As the release notes indicate, this option is no longer needed or supported. But \
including it on the configure invocation won't be a problem either -- you'll just get \
a warning about an unsupported option.
> $ make install
>
> Couple binary got generated and installed, and I followed the instruction to run:
> sudo opcontrol --setup --no-vmlinux
>
> However, I couldn't find operf binary anywhere:
> $ which operf
> /usr/bin/which: no operf in \
> (/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/NX/bin:/home/hchan/bin:/usr/NX/bin)

As the release notes state, operf requires a kernel version of 2.6.31 or greater.  So \
if you're running on an older kernel, that would be one reason why operf was not \
built.  But building operf also requires kernel headers.  If you don't have them \
installed, the configure would finish with the following message:

   Warning: perf_event.h not found.  Please install the kernel headers package if you
            want non-root support built into OProfile.

-Maynard