List:       oprofile-list
Subject:    Re: Problems running oprofiled on embedded arm - Invalid Argument
From:       Richard Purdie <rpurdie () rpsys ! net>
Date:       2009-08-11 16:32:52

Hi,

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 11:07 -0500, Maynard Johnson wrote:
> Richard, as someone with embedded ARM experience, do you have any suggestions
> for Mark.  Something must not be set up right.

Two things jump out at me:

> >> I am trying to run oprofile on an embedded arm platform, the details are
> >
> >> as follows:
> >> Kernel Version:          2.6.17 (it has been customised)

This is an old kernel...

> >> Repeats for most of the file, followed by....
> >> // ---------------
> >> Thu Aug  6 17:04:43 2009
> >>
> >> Nr. sample dumps: 41
> >> Nr. non-backtrace samples: 1245235
> >> Nr. kernel samples: 1025437
> >> Nr. lost samples (no kernel/user): 0
> >> Nr. lost kernel samples: 0
> >> Nr. incomplete code structs: 6
> >> Nr. samples lost due to sample file open failure: 6687
> >> Nr. samples lost due to no permanent mapping: 0
> >> Nr. event lost due to buffer overflow: 2081823
> >> Nr. samples lost due to no mapping: 4306
> >> Nr. backtraces skipped due to no file mapping: 0
> >> Nr. samples lost due to no mm: 0
> >> Nr. samples lost cpu buffer overflow: 67940
> >> Nr. samples received: 2334860
> >> Nr. backtrace aborted: 0

and there are *large* numbers of samples being lost here, probably all
of them. This would point to something in kernel space, not userspace
being the problem.

OProfile support on arm back in 2.6.17 wasn't well used and probably had
bugs so I'd start there. If you can't upgrade the kernel you need to
work out why the samples are all being lost.

Cheers,

Richard