List:       openwireless-tech
Subject:    Re: [OpenWireless Tech] Low Bandwidth HTTPS Open WiFi
From:       Erik Soderquist <ErikSoderquist () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-12-19 14:41:49

That sounds like a lot of complicated code/overhead for home grade
routers, and I've already trivially bypassed it before to maintain
near-continuous "full speed" access.

Nice idea in theory, but I've never found it to be worth it in
practice, mostly due to the overhead it involved on the router to keep
track and dynamically throttle connections.

-- Erik

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 9:49 PM, Tom Hanan
<tom.hanan@switchcomputing.com> wrote:
> I personally favor a staged bandwidth limiting approach where each ip / mac
> devices bandwidth starts at <512kbps and drops in half for each 25M Bytes
> that are transferred within an hour. So a device that had already
> transferred 100M bytes in a given hr would be limited to 32kbps for the next
> hr. That should be no problem for an "internet of things" device even when
> performing an update. In fact it encourages the more professional staggered
> live verified updates vs the hackers favorite of forced reset with online
> boot loader and restart.
>
> Emerging security standards and testing for internet of things devices will
> make those poor update practices obsolete by exposing all the devices on a
> net work with those behaviors.
>
> Devices that need bandwidth limits higher than those described above are NOT
> low bandwidth! Note that 32kbps will handle all the VOIP and texting the
> average person needs even after they used up their 100MB burst allocation!
>

> My mottos for low band with open wireless are"
>
> "Trust But Verify"
> "Open but Limited"
>
> -T

>>> I guess my text wasn't really clear: Instead of HTTPS I would suggest
>>> "raw"
>>> TLS (not HTTP). At least it should be allowed so polling and other