List:       openvz-users
Subject:    [Users] HA:  Show stopper while trying out Openvz 7 beta 1
From:       dowdle () montanalinux ! org (Scott Dowdle)
Date:       2015-08-04 15:11:55

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> You don?t need to download ez-template before caching ? vzctl/vzpkg
> could do that job. Note also that if your node has an internet
> access and standard repositories configured:
>
> vzpkg list ?O ?available
> will display list of available EZ OS templates.

Just to clarify...

There are some "meta-data" packages (from the package manager repos).  They have ez \
in the name.  So for example:

#  rpm -qa | grep ez | grep -v bluez | sort
centos-5-x86-ez-7.0.0-2.vz7.noarch
centos-6-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-1.vz7.noarch
centos-7-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-5.vz7.noarch
debian-8.0-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-2.vz7.noarch
ubuntu-14.04-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-2.vz7.noarch

I filtered out bluez because there was one stock distro package that was unrelated \
that matched named bluez-libs.  Anyway... those packages are OS Template meta-data \
packages that define what the OS Template is, what packages it should contain, what \
the URLs are for the packages, etc.

By default on the most recent bare-metal installer I believe all of the centos \
meta-data packages are pre-installed.  The debian and ubuntu meta-data packages are \
not... so if you want to make those containers, you should probably:

yum install debian-8.0-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-2.vz7.noarch \
ubuntu-14.04-x86_64-ez-7.0.0-2.vz7.noarch

With all of those "ez" packages installed, vzpkg can do its thing and assemble OS \
Templates and cache them.  And you can refresh them whenever you want so you can keep \
your OS Templates current with all of the updates.  In the past, the OpenVZ Project \
built a lot of OS Templates and updated them every 3 months or so.  Now with the ez \
packages you can build them whenever you want and update them yourself.  Again, in \
the early days of OpenVZ, it was very similar.

Now the question remains... will the pool of ez meta-data packages continue to grow?  \
Will we get ez meta-data packages for Fedora, openSUSE, and others?

The format of the OS Template seems to have changed as the end result of a OS \
Template construction has the following naming convention:

# ls -lh /vz/template/cache/
total 1.2G
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 337M Jul 28 10:59 centos-6-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4
-rw------- 1 root root    0 Jul 28 10:54 centos-6-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4.lock
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 291M Jul 27 17:32 centos-7-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4
-rw------- 1 root root    0 Jul 27 17:30 centos-7-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4.lock
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 312M Jul 28 14:59 debian-8.0-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4
-rw------- 1 root root    0 Jul 28 14:39 debian-8.0-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4.lock
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 237M Jul 28 16:51 ubuntu-14.04-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4
-rw------- 1 root root    0 Jul 28 16:45 \
ubuntu-14.04-x86_64.plain.ploopv2.tar.lz4.lock

I wonder what is meant by "plain" and ploopv2?  Is the flavor of ploop different \
between OpenVZ Legacy and V7?

OpenVZ Legacy has ploop-1.13.2-1.x86_64
V7 has ploop-7.0.10-1.vz7.x86_64

lz4 is used rather than gz or xz.

OpenVZ Legacy OS Templates contain a big directory structure but V7's OS Templates \
have ploop disk images in them.

We understand that containers and their filesystems from OpenVZ Legacy aren't \
compatible with V7... and they must undergo some conversion process.  Could we see \
some examples of that?  I think I sorta saw some mention in an openvz-devel mailing \
list post but the vast majority of that stuff is over my head so I haven't paid that \
much attention.

Anyway, it would be nice to figure out how to make a blank OS Template disk image on \
a V7 host, mount it, and then rsync into it the contents of any one of the many \
OpenVZ Legacy OS Templates that currently aren't available for V7.  While that might \
be sloppy... and multi-step... it at least expands the pool and helps us better \
understand how the underlying components work... and opens the door to contributed OS \
Templates.  Ideally though, the number of ez meta-data packages will grow but given \
the current complexity of vztt and the ez meta-data packaging... I see much less \
potential for contributed ez OS Templates.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street