List:       openvz-users
Subject:    [Users] OpenVZ inside VMware?
From:       daniel () rimspace ! net (Daniel Pittman)
Date:       2010-07-14 4:10:31

Roman Haefeli <reduzierer@yahoo.de> writes:

> Our institution forces us linux admins to get rid of all our physical
> hardware machines and only wants to maintain VMware virtual machines.

Well, bully for them. ;)

> Since we built our whole linux infrastructure based on OpenVZ and optimized
> the maintenance of our infrastructure with a lot of OpenVZ specific scripts,
> we absolutely don't want to abandon OpenVZ.

[...]

> Before doing so, we would like to hear some opinions about running OpenVZ
> HNs as VMware virtual machines. Is there anything that one needs to take
> care of in this particular setup?

I can't see anything in particular, other than the regular "running in VMWare"
things you need to take care of, and they seem to work from the sound of it.

OpenVZ looks pretty much identical to a regular Linux kernel from the outside,
and behaves that way too, so it should work.

We certainly run OpenVZ inside KVM virtual machines with absolutely no problem
here, other than the usual need to care about I/O performance inside the
virtual environment not cutting too much out of the inner system.

        Daniel

--
? Daniel Pittman            ? daniel@rimspace.net            ? +61 401 155 707
               ? made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons