List:       openvz-users
Subject:    [Users] pre-built i686 kernel flavors
From:       solar () openwall ! com (Solar Designer)
Date:       2010-07-10 18:58:05

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 02:32:50AM +0400, Kirill Korotaev wrote:
> a. We really had a huge problem in the past with lots of containers on i686 with \
> >>8GB RAM when Normal zone could get exhausted due to kernel allocations. So it was \
> > > not a hack for enterprisy Apps,

I think it was for Red Hat, you just found a different use for it. :-)
IIRC, they primarily cared about the user address space increase from
3 GB to 4 GB (yes, that little thing), whereas you've benefited from
the kernel address space increase.

> but rather a feature allowing
> to increase containers density (due to 3.5Gb Normal zone). Fortunately, all \
> machines support 64bit nowdays and it can be dropped. RHEL5 branch will be the last \
> to support it. b. Performance impact of -ent kernel is less then 20% on web \
> applications. It's not that bad price taking into account that it allows to run  up \
> to 4x times more containers.

Thank you for explaining this.  It makes sense to me now.

Alexander