List:       openvz-users
Subject:    [Users] Some basic startup related issues
From:       dowdle () montanalinux ! org (Scott Dowdle)
Date:       2010-07-09 11:35:03

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Above entries must come from some fstab file (either /etc/fstab within
> container or some top level container specific fstab in the host). In
> other words, if I have to mount some filesystems during startup (say
> bind mount of host directories), how do I do that? /etc/fstab within
> container does not seem to help.

There is now container fstab on the host node.

For how to mount stuff inside the container... you can bind mount. See the section \
about "Action Scripts" in the fine OpenVZ Users Guide.

There is also a wiki page here:

http://wiki.openvz.org/Bind_mounts

> In my case (both 102 and 123) OSTEMPLATE is centos-5-i386-default but
> I don't see centos-5-i386-default.conf in dists directory. Things
> still seem to work ok. Am I missing anything ?

The OSTEMPLATE value and the container config are not the same thing... so you won't \
find a centos-5-i386-default.conf.  The OSTEMPLATE value (found in the container \
config) is used by vzctl so it knows what scripts to use when injecting settings into \
the container at startup.

For a CentOS container it should use /etc/vz/dists/centos.conf which defines the \
various scripts to use in /etc/vz/dists/scripts/.  In this case:

ADD_IP=redhat-add_ip.sh
DEL_IP=redhat-del_ip.sh
SET_HOSTNAME=redhat-set_hostname.sh
SET_DNS=set_dns.sh
SET_USERPASS=set_userpass.sh
SET_UGID_QUOTA=set_ugid_quota.sh
POST_CREATE=postcreate.sh

Look at those scripts and you can see exactly what they do to configure the \
container.

> Even with nameserver configured, DNS resolution does not work.
> Overriding default gw does not work either.
> root@localhost /]# ping 10.33.11.1
> PING 10.33.11.1 (10.33.11.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from 10.33.11.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=254 time=0.666 ms
> 64 bytes from 10.33.11.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=254 time=0.403 ms

You should not need to override the given gateway.  OpenVZ, with the default venet \
device, sets up networking a little weird but it should work.

So far as DNS not working in your container, that is almost always caused by \
firewall/iptables rules on the host node.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street