List:       openvz-users
Subject:    [Users] OpenVZ in xen
From:       mlist () dsb-gmbh ! de (Daniel Bauer)
Date:       2007-03-26 12:01:02

Hi Kirill,

From: "Kirill Korotaev" <dev@sw.ru>
> Daniel,
>
>> I've done some first steps with OpenVZ. I like the speed and that it
>> use
>> less resources from host as xen. But the only distribution which
>> works
>> from the box is SuSE.
> Do you mean the only distribution OpenVZ works with?
> Or you mean that you like SuSE and it the only distro which is working
> for you? :)

No, I tried to get the box working with fedora and other distro, because
you told me, that OpenVZ is working well on fedora. But fedora
installation aborts. So I was really to lazy to work on this and tried
SuSE and everything works without any patch or kernel compilation ;)

>> Now many of my boxes run SuSE with xen, but I like
>> to run also OpenVZ. Is it possible to run OpenVZ in a domU from xen?
> 1. Most easy way is to replace SuSE kernel with OpenVZ one.

This was the step I tried and you told me several things to do, but it
was to tricky to get this working well. There was problems with the
versions of mkinitrd and initscripts from SuSE.

> 2. It is possible to run OpenVZ in a domU, but for this you need
>   to apply Xen patches on top of OpenVZ. This works, but requires some
>   efforts, i.e. not out of the box :/
>   Actually, after applying Xen patches you can run OpenVZ both in domU
> and dom0.

The 2nd sounds really fantastic. So if I'm able to do this, I'll do so
;) Is there a HowTo?

Many thanks to you
Daniel